A high school senior was barred from her prom after she showed up to the dance wearing a dress emblazoned with the Confederate flag.
Texanna Edwards, 18, wasn’t allowed to go inside last Saturday with other students because of her choice of gown that she had helped design.
Controversial: Texanna Edwards, 18, wasn’t allowed into the dance at Gibson County High School in Tennessee because of the gown that she had helped design
Miss Edwards told Msnbc that she thought the dress was ‘cool’ and wanted her dress to look like the Confederate flag because she lives in the south.
She said: ‘We kept asking people walking inside – black and white – and everyone said they loved it.
‘Two black women even went off on the principal. They were upset with the principal. No one was upset with me.’
Director of schools for the region Eddie Pruett said there have been episodes of racism at the school in recent years and that the principal believed the dress may have caused a problem.
Miss Edwards had been told by teachers that if she went home and changed she would be allowed into the school dance but she decided against it.
Defense: The 18-year-old said she thought the dress was ‘cool’ and that other students, black and white, agreed with her
Flying the flag: The high school student said she wanted to wear a unique dress and felt the Confederate flag was appropriate because she is from the south
Her family had spent around $500 on the specially designed dress along with the teenager’s hair and make-up.
The 18-year-old added that students at her school often wear T shirts and belts with the Confederate flag and it has never been an issue before.
The Confederate States set up a government from 1861 to 1865, but were eventually defeated by northern states in the U.S. Civil War.
The 13 stars on the Confederates Flag represent the states of South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri.
Off to the dance? Miss Edwards was not allowed to attend the high school prom with fellow students because her choice of attire was deemed offensive
- Girl Turned Away From Prom After Showing Up in Confederate Flag Dress (fox8.com)
- Teen denied access to her high school prom for her Confederate flag dress (whptv.com)
- Student Gets Banned From Prom Over Confederate Dress (inquisitr.com)
- Banning Confederate Flag Dress-Wearing Teen From Prom Was Totally Unfair, Y’all [Prom] (jezebel.com)
- This Year’s Racist Prom Dress (buzzfeed.com)
- Girl barred from prom for Confederate flag dress- Pennsylvania girl told can attend prom solo after all (foxnews.com)
- No Prom for Her Due To Confederate Flag Style Dress (wreg.com)
- Student’s Confederate flag dress keeps her out of prom (ajc.com)
- Girl banned from prom for wearing confederate flag dress (nj.com)
Views – 170