Daily Archives: May 26, 2012
Racial intolerance is pervasive in Lebanon and in much of the region
THE multilingual, fashion-conscious residents of Beirut, Lebanon’s capital, fancy their city to be cosmopolitan. But not everyone is welcome. Black people and foreigners from Asia and elsewhere in the third world who make up the bulk of migrant workers are often turned away from the city’s smarter venues. Conscious of the bad blood this can cause, Lebanon’s government has warned beach clubs against barring entry on the basis of race, nationality or disability.
But racism is unlikely to be erased overnight, either in Lebanon or in many other Middle Eastern countries where blacks are routinely looked down on. Racist taunts are often heard on Egypt’s streets, and in Yemen, darker-skinned people, known as al-akhdam (“the servants”), who make up perhaps 5% of the population, are confined to menial jobs and tend to dwell in slums. In Libya rebel militias often targeted darker-skinned people from nearby countries such as Chad and Mali and from countries further south, accusing them of being mercenaries of Muammar Qaddafi.
Filipinos, Sri Lankans and Chinese-Americans, among others, whisper of racist slurs both at work and on Lebanon’s streets. “When black or Asian friends visit,” says a young Lebanese professional, “I’m at the airport the moment they land to make sure immigration officers don’t ask inappropriate questions. It’s a disgrace.
Some people blame the legacy of the slave trade, which brought sub-Saharan Africans, as well as others, to the region from the 7th century onwards. But Nadim Houry of Human Rights Watch, a New York-based lobby group says that racism persists in the region because governments have been lax about tackling it. “There are racists everywhere in the world, but in many countries it is now taboo to make comments, partly because there are laws against it,” he says. “Here, even when there is legislation, it is never applied.”
Snobbery makes things worse. Millions of foreigners in the Middle East do cleaning and building jobs which locals consider beneath them. Sponsorship schemes often deny such workers basic rights. “People just see us as cheap labour,” says a Filipino university graduate who makes $200 a month in a Beirut beauty parlour. Some beach clubs have already said they will ignore the new regulation. Their customers, they say, would not tolerate having to rub shoulders with the dark-skinned servant class.
- Beirut Tourism Ministry bans discrimination at beaches (innerstandingisness.wordpress.com)
Lies, Deceit, Propaganda, Manipulation and Brainwashing is the current foundation of All Western academic institutions, especially at the primary and secondary levels. Let us be Honest with Ourselves and answer this question, is this the best we can do for Our children? "Thangs that make you go Hmmmm...."
Black Talk Radio Network: http://blacktalkradionetwork.com/page/the-context-of-white-supremacy
The Context of White Supremacy hosts the weekly Compensatory Call-In. We invite non-white listeners to call in to share their codified concepts, observations, research and/or problem solving techniques for Replace White Supremacy With Justice. We’ll examine news reports from the last week with an eye for Racist trends. We’ll also re-examine how anti-blackness us all.
HD Number: 760-569-7676 CODE 564943# *6 to Talk to Host
Talkshoe Number: 724-444-7444 Code 97250# *8 to Talk to Host
SKYPE: FREECONFERENCECALLHD.7676 CODE 564943#
The C.O.W.S. archives: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-c.o.w.s./id471121328
Invest in The COWS: http://tiny.cc/ledjb
- www.chimpout.com: how white beings view african people
- www.niggermania.com: how white beings view african people
- www.irateirishman.com: how white beings view african people
- The C.O.W.S. w/ Pam (The Beauty Con Game) on Monday, 05/21/2012 08:01 PM EDT
- Context of White Supremacy (C.O.W.S.) radio program
- The C.O.W.S. w/ “The Impact of Fatherlessness on Black Women” on Tuesday, May 8th at 8:00PM Eastern/ 5:00PM Pacific
- The C.O.W.S. w/ Dr. Umar Abdullah Johnson Part VII on Tuesday, May 1st 8:00PM Eastern/ 5:00PM Pacific
- The C.O.W.S. w/ Racist Cake in Sweden on Wednesday, May 16th 3:00PM Eastern/ 12:00PM Pacific
- The Ten Stops: suggestions to maximize constructive interaction between non-white people
- My new favorite shirt
- Why I, An Asian Man, Fight Anti-Black Racism
- conversation between Seed Planter and suspected white supremacist
- the C.O.W.S. and Pam: Wednesday, April 25th 8:00PM Eastern/ 5:00PM Pacific