NEW YORK, Nov. 6, 2013 — National Racial Justice Organization Urges Explicit Dialogue on Race
NEW YORK, Nov. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The Applied Research Center today rebranded itself as Race Forward: The Center for Racial Justice Innovation. The new name highlights the centrality of addressing race and the urgency of paving the way forward to racial justice. A conference call will be held at 4pmET today addressing the rebrand and why being explicit about race matters.
A recognized leader in the field, Race Forward is known for its systemic analysis and innovative approach to complex race issues that addresses:
- The impact of individual acts of racial discrimination within a deeper analysis of systemic racial injustice.
- How race compounds and intersects with other societal issues
- The consequences of unconscious racial bias.
Recent attempts to undo civil rights gains of the 20th century are compounded with a “post-racial” colorblind approach to race that popularizes the notion that racial disparities and discrimination will simply go away as demographics change. Race Forward highlights the impact of unconscious bias in perpetuating racial injustice, while moving the conversation beyond anti-racism and diversity, towards racial justice: the systematic fair treatment of people of all races that results in equal opportunities and outcomes for all.
“Now is the time to Race Forward. We advance racial justice every day, taking action for the challenges that lie ahead,” said Race Forward President Rinku Sen. “Racial justice benefits all people.”
Race Forward’s areas of work are in research, media, and practice, with notable recent achievements:
- Drop the I-Word campaign that led to Associated Press, USA Today, LA Times and others dropping the word “illegal” to describe immigrants
- Shattered Families report, which provided ground-breaking national data on parental deportations and child welfare.
- Facing Race: A National Conference trending nationally on Twitter
- Colorlines: our daily news site reaches a million readers in a month
Registration for Race Forward’s biennial Facing Race conference will open on November 12. For more information about Race Forward, media inquiries, or to RSVP for the conference call scheduled at 4pmET on November 6, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT RACE FORWARD
Race Forward advances racial justice through research, media and practice. Founded in 1981, Race Forward brings systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. Race Forward publishes the daily news site Colorlines and presents Facing Race, the country’s largest multiracial conference on racial justice.
Race Forward was formerly known as the Applied Research Center.
Media Contact: Rebekah Spicuglia email@example.com 646-490-2772
SOURCE Race Forward: The Center for Racial Justice Innovation
Views – 103