Archives

Anson Co. deputy resigns after allegations of using racial… | www.wsoctv.com

MB_ANSON_TEZ_VID

By Mark Becker

ANSON COUNTY, N.C. —

An Anson County sheriff’s deputy handed in his resignation on Tuesday after allegations he used a racial slur over police radio while out on call.

The sheriff is not releasing the name of the deputy involved, but he confirmed that the deputy resigned on Tuesday after he admitted to using the n-word on the radio during a call for help.

The deputy, who had been with the department for less than three months, was answering a call about a fight at a trailer park south of Wadesboro late Saturday night.

“They all started surrounding, getting up close to my car,” said Samantha Flowers.

She showed Eyewitness News where she was hit on the arm by a large chunk of brick that is still on the gravel road.

It was clearly tense, she said, when the deputy got on the radio, frantically calling for help, and used the n-word.

“If he said it, it was down low because at the time I was talking to my son and I couldn’t hear what he was talking about at the time. I was upset, I was shaking,” she said.

But others on the radio did hear it. After an internal investigation that started on Monday, Sheriff Tommy Allen released a statement on Tuesday afternoon saying that the deputy had resigned.

“Words hurt,” said Anna Baucom, Anson County Commission .chairman.

On Tuesday afternoon Baucom said she hopes the sheriff’s quick investigation will send the right message.

“I certainly think he handled it appropriately,” she said.

Most people had not even heard about the incident, but those Eyewitness News told did not seem terribly surprised.

Bruce Ingram is a member of a church that had been vandalized with racial graffiti just two years ago.

The sheriff told Eyewitness news that he has no plans to release the audio recording of that deputy’s call.

Anson Co. deputy resigns after allegations of using racial… | www.wsoctv.com.

 

Views – 131

Ga. Deputy in Trouble For Dressing as Cotton-Picking Inmate in Blackface | Your Black World

blackface3

A Camden County deputy is in trouble after First Coast News revealed on Tuesday that he dressed in blackface for Halloween.

The image shows the officer with his face and arms painted black. He reportedly told Halloween party-goers that he was dressed as a Camden County inmate picking cotton.

A spokesman for the Sheriff’s office told FCN that the officer’s behavior was “unacceptable”

“Look at it. A white man with a black face, this just isn’t right. It can’t get more racist. It can’t,” said community leader Shelia Blake.

“I think this is disgusting. For this to be up at our Sheriff’s office. This is not right,” she said.

Sheriff Jim Proctor later suspended Deputy Sheriff Chad Palmer without pay but said although the costume was “extremely offensive”, he doesn’t believe Palmer to be a racist. Palmer has also been placed on probation for a year and will be forced to undergo sensitivity training.

Today, we are here because of someone’s inappropriate, insensitive actions. Extremely insensitive, is what it is. I do not believe Chad Palmer is a racist. I have had to take action,’ said Proctor.

Proctor said Palmer will be suspended until he feels the deputy is ready to come back to work. He also says he considered taking more serious action against Palmer but decided against it.

‘There’s been a lot of thought, a lot of prayer in to this decision,’ Proctor said. ‘I thought about firing him but decided against it.’

Some members of the community have asked the department to look into the history of Palmer’s arrests to determine if any of them might have been racially motivated.

Ga. Deputy in Trouble For Dressing as Cotton-Picking Inmate in Blackface | Your Black World.

 

Views – 96

Records show missing Jasper man facing federal charges

23970823_BG1

JASPER, TX (KTRE) -New details have emerged about a 28-year-old Jasper man who disappeared Thursday of last week near Hemphill despite no leads in regards to his whereabouts.

Additional Links

On Wednesday, records revealed that Alfred Wright has been charged with Theft, Embezzlement or Misapplication by bank employee in a Federal Indictment between the time periods of January 3, 2011 and January 26, 2011 in Memphis, Tennessee.

Other documents revealed Wright excused his presence during an October 30, 2012 court hearing that was scheduled in Memphis to address a potential scheduling conflict with his trial date. That date has since been moved to December 9, 2013.

The document says Wright was excused through his lawyer because he “lives in Jasper, Texas, which is roughly an eight-hour drive from Memphis, TN.”

The details come four days after the Sabine County Sheriff’s Department announced they will no longer continue the organized ground search for Wright, but will continue to search for Wright through other means.

 

While the paperwork does raise new questions as to whether or not this is a missing person’s case, Wright’s attorney Jack Irvine said Wright had maintained his innocence and despite a plea deal offered to him which had “a penalty that was not significant,” he was preparing to go to trial.

“I can tell you from getting to know Alfred that he has lived an exemplary life. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from college. He’s got a physical therapy degree. He’s got three wonderful kids and a wonderful wife and I can tell you that his disappearance again, I can’t imagine that it has anything to do with the allegations up here in Memphis,” Irvine said.

Irvine said he spoke to Wright approximately three to five days before his disappearance and actually found out Wright was missing through the Internet.

“I’m concerned about him. I’ve gotten to know him. I like him a lot and he’s missing and from what I’ve read on the Internet it sounds fairly serious,” Irvine said.

Irvine said Wright was an employee of the Memphis bank at the time the charges were filed and he was attending the University of Tennessee for physical therapy. He said Wright has actively proclaimed his innocence in the defense.

KTRE reached out to Wright’s family for a comment on the indictment charges and was told that they will no longer conduct media interviews because their lawyer have advised them not to.

Wright disappeared on November 7, 2013 after his car overheated and broke down at the CL&M liquor store on Highway 87, which is about 4 miles south of Hemphill. His family says Wright worked in Hemphill as a home healthcare physical therapist.

Jolea Ebarb, the District Manager for East Texas Home Health in Hemphill, confirmed Wright was a contracted employee for their company and would not say how long he had been working with them. She said she is “very concerned for his well being and hope things turn out OK.”

On Monday, CL&M store clerk J.R. said she was outside smoking a cigarette when she watched Wright get out of his truck, put his cell phone in his pocket, and run towards the highway heading into town.

Alfred’s mother, Rosalind Wright, said she received a cell phone call from her daughter-in-law about Alfred’s truck breaking down. She said she was on the way to Hemphill from Jasper, which is approximately a 45-minute drive, when her son disappeared.

Annilia Wright-Mosley, Alfred’s sister, says two days prior, Wright had been having car problems, as well.

“When his truck broke down two days before that with the alternator, he called my mom. He waited there by the truck and she came and he was able to go home. So, I don’t know why in the world he would take off running or going somewhere towards town,” Wright-Mosley said.

On Sunday, authorities discovered several of Wright’s items in a pasture outside of town.

“[Authorities] told me they found his shirt, his scrub shirt…they went down a few more feet [and] they found his pants, keys, and he had a little silver metal deal that kept his I.D. and his credit cards in,” Rosalind Wright said.

The pasture is located on Coussons Drive, which is a very dark road deep in the roads.

“It’s bizarre. My son would never come down that dark road by himself…walking or running,” Rosalind Wright said.

“First of all, I know my brother and to come down a road that’s very eerie like this particular road—you would have to fight him to get him down this road,” Wright-Mosley said.

A piece of clothing was also found on a barbed wire fence on the property.

Since the reveal of the federal charges, friends and family have taken to Facebook to continue to support the search for Wright. His family has been very active in proclaiming the type of man Wright is saying he is a “good, Christian man.”

Wright graduated from Jasper High School in 2003 and went on to play football on a scholarship at Mary Hardin Baylor in 2004. He then transferred to the University of Tennessee to pursue a physical therapy degree. He and his wife Lauren have two sons. He also has a child from a previous relationship.

Wright is listed a black male, 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds. Maddox says that he believes Wright is wearing little to nothing. His family admits he might be wearing black UnderArmour. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Department at (409) 787-2266.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved.

 

Views – 98

[KENDRICK JOHNSON] Tweets from Possible Suspects Raise Eyebrows – News & Views – EBONY

kj_caro_article-small_34959

“Damn I wanna fight so many niggas,” Chris Martin* tweeted on March 21, 2013.

Two and a half months earlier on January 10, 2013, 17-year-old Kendrick “KJ” Johnson was found dead in a six foot high, rolled up wrestling mat at Lowndes County High School, in the school’s old gym in Valdosta Georgia.  Lowndes County Sheriff Chris Prine and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation claimed he fell into the mat accidentally and died from positional asphyxiation. This, despite the fact that the mat had a fourteen inch diameter, while Johnson’s shoulders measured nineteen inches across.

According to private coroner Dr. William Anderson who performed a second autopsy, that’s not what happened to Johnson. In his report dated August 15, 2013, he writes:

Cause of Death: Blunt force trauma, right neck, involving right mandible [jaw] and soft tissues, including the area of the carotid body [artery] consistent with inflicted injury.

“NOTE: Unexplained, apparent, non-accidental blunt force trauma: Further investigation is indicated to determine the etiology [how it happened] of the injuries.”

Dr. Anderson believes Johnson was murdered by one blow, like a karate chop, that caused his heart to stop.  So does Beau Webster, the private investigator who works for the late teen’s family.  He later identified brothers Chris and Clark Martin, who are White, as possible suspects. They, along with other alleged suspects Webster has identified, are now being investigated by special agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Those agents are now on the ground in Valdosta, under the direction of Michael J. Moore, the United States Attorney for the Middle District of Georgia, who has opened a federal investigation into the case.  Moore, who is known for his pursuit of justice, has promised to get to the truth.

“Sitting in my first block [class] looking at the chair KJ used to sit in,” Chris Martin tweeted on January 14, 2013, three days after KJ was found dead in the mat.

Three days after that, on January 17, Lowndes County sheriff’s detectives Ssgt Jack Winningham and Sgt. Michael Adams were interviewing students at Lowndes County High School.  According to their report, “It was brought to Winningham’s attention [by students] that Johnson had been in an altercation on a school bus during a football game,” with Chris Martin.

According to Webster, Chris Martin had also fought Johnson a second time—and lost a second time.  He was and is a minor.  So the detectives then approached his father, Sam Martin, for permission to interview him.  We have been able to has confirm that the elder Martin is an FBI agent.  He refused to have his son interviewed by the sheriff’s detectives, instead referring them to his attorney.

That night, Clark, Chris’s older brother – also a minor at the time – tweeted this threatening missive.

“Who ever [sic] is talking all that shit about my little brother, they better watch where they step!”

As previously reported here, Det. John Marion followed up two weeks later on January 31, and got permission from either Sam Martin or his wife Susan to interview Clark and Chris.  The police reports that EBONY.com has access to are redacted, so it is not clear which parent gave their permission.

“Clark Martin stated that he was in the twelfth grade and had second block gym.  Clark stated he did not know Kendrick Johnson, and did not speak to him.  Clark also stated that during his second block gym on January 10, 2013, he was in the weight room,” it says in the police report.

Clark Martin did know Johnson because he knew that he and his brother fought twice.  Clark, however, did not account for his time during the fourth block, when Johnson went into the old gym for the final time.

Chris Martin had been present during his brother’s interview and listening carefully.  He then volunteered the following information to the detectives.

“He [Chris] stated that he was in the tenth grade and had previously been in third block gym with Kendrick Johnson last semester.”

He said nothing about the fights the two boys had, nor what Beau Webster had discovered during his investigation, that he and Johnson had prior animus going back at least two years.  Even more telling, Chris Martin clearly implied that he was not, then, in any classes with Johnson.  So how could he tweet on January 14, “Sitting in my first block looking at the chair KJ used to sit in.”

How would Chris know that if he wasn’t in class with Kendrick Johnson?  And if he was – the school’s class roster would prove this – why did he not tell the detectives?  Further, Chris and Johnson were teammates on the school football team, which he also did not tell the detectives. According to the police narrative, Chris then gave a statement that was not included in the police files that we obtained.

Establishing a timeline is all important in a murder case because it accounts for not only the whereabouts of the suspects during the crime, but also the time the time of death. Johnson disappeared after the third block at the high school.  While it has been widely reported that he entered the gym at 1:09PM, this does not appear to be the case.

According to police files, “Detective Priddy spoke with Lieutenant Stryde Jones and advised him that the surveillance video showed Kendrick Johnson entered the old gym at approximately 1:09PM andthat the time on the surveillance system is not accurate.” [Emphasis mine]

Per the Lowndes County High School website, third block ends at 1:23PM.  Since Johnson attended his third block class, and it would have taken him a few minutes to walk to the old gym, he would have went into the gym sometime around 1:30PM.   Where, then, were Chris and Clark Martin at that time?

“Detective Priddy obtained a copy of the surveillance video from the old gym to include the cameras inside the gym, the cameras in the hall way [sic] of the gym and the exterior entrance to the gym.  The copy of the surveillance video was placed into propery evidence,” it states in a January 14, 2013 police report.  Why, then, are there no images on that video of KJ’s last moments of life?

During July 2013, as Dr. Anderson prepared his report on KJ’s second autopsy, that would show he was murdered, Chris Martin retweeted the following from a friend.

“Black kills black, it’s gang, black kills white, it’s rarely seen in the news, white kills black, it’s a hate crime and the whole world hears.”

Fred Rosen is a veteran investigative reporter and true crime author, whose current books Bayou Blue and Lobster Boy are available at Amazon Kindle 

[KENDRICK JOHNSON] Tweets from Possible Suspects Raise Eyebrows – News & Views – EBONY.

Views – 173

LA: Sorrento police chief apologizes for racial slur

 

The Sorrento Police Department has been at the center of several investigations that have come before the town council. A long list of allegations of wrong-doing within the police department has landed on the desk of 23rd Judicial District Attorney Ricky Babin. He said some of the complaints are more than a year old.

“Payroll fraud, use of public funds for private purposes, use of public fuel in private vehicles, things of that sort,” Babin said were some of the allegations.

The town council fired its Assistant Police Chief Billy Ballard on Tuesday. In a notice to the Louisiana Workforce Commission, Mayor Wilson Longanecker Jr. lists: payroll fraud, use of public property for personal use, failure to cooperate during an investigation and failure to comply with a previous suspension as reasons for Ballard’s dismissal.

9 News obtained a questionnaire recently distributed to Sorrento police officers by town attorney, Donovan Hudson.

It asks officers if they know of incidents of:

– Improper use of personal vehicles
– On duty officers not within jurisdiction of town getting paid
– Entering improper, incorrect or fraudulent payroll information
– Improper use of town assets
– Improper use of equipment
– Any actions to cover-up investigations

Babin is tasked with finding out whether any of the complaints filed have merit.

“I have absolutely no facts to warrant any grand jury to ask for any warrants so I need somebody to investigate it.”

Babin said the Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office has agreed to investigate.

“If there’s evidence that exists and we have to bring it to court we’ll have a very tough time getting a conviction. It affects public safety.”

Babin said he is not sure what is going on in the small Town of Sorrento.

“I don’t know if it’s political, one trying to one-up the other, or going through the extent of corruption that’s been alleged but we’re going to get to the bottom of it.”

Ascension Parish Sheriff Jeff Wiley said his investigators met on Friday with a Sorrento employee and will continue looking into the allegations on Monday.

 

 

Views – 83